The Full-Proof Salad Formula for making Salads Less Boring
When you think about having a salad, you may be thinking ugh… another day of leaves and boring veggies.
PSA: we’ve got great news, salads don’t have to be boring! With a little love, color, and texture, salads can be a delicious option that you won’t grow tired of! We’ve created a full-proof formula that is customizable and contains all the components you need to have a new and exciting salad every time!
Base layer: setting the foundation is essential to a great salad, and you don’t have to limit yourself to just one! We’ve listed a few ideas to get you started.
- spinach, cabbage, arugula, kale, quinoa, brown rice, barley
Protein: when you think of salads, you don’t typically think of them as filling. It’s time to change that perspective! Salads can be protein and fiber packed enough to where you don’t feel the need to snack all day every day.
- turkey, salmon, beans, tofu, tempeh, eggs, chicken, bacon
Something crunchy: texture is everything! There’s something satisfying about having that extra crunch in your salad. Plus, it’s a great way to incorporate different nutrients into your dish!
- Carrots, cucumbers, bell pepper, apple, sprouts, nuts, seeds
Something soft: having too crunchy of a texture can make it tough or even tiresome to finish your salad. Adding something soft helps balance out the meal. It’s also a great reminder that salads don’t have to be raw. Adding something like roasted veggies can make a huge difference!
- Avocado, tomato, mushroom, roasted veggies, cheese, edamame, corn
Something colorful: Now that we’ve covered the essentials, it’s important that your plate looks good enough to eat! Adding color is so easy when it comes to salads. It’s a perfect opportunity to throw something unexpected into the dish.
- Berries, pomegranate seeds, jalapeno, red onion, beets, peaches, pickled veggies
Dress it up: grabbing a bottled dressing will often do the trick, but these tend to contain a lot of sodium and hidden sugars, and preservatives. Homemade dressings are so much easier than you think and adding some extra seasoning or fresh herbs can really take your salad to the next level.
Psst - Our Homemade Cilantro Dressing can be made in no more than 5 minutes!
Now it’s your turn to try out our curated salad formula, styled and inspired by you.
Try this Mason Jar Salad recipe to get you started and inspired:
You will need: three 32 oz Glass Jars
Ingredients for the Dressing (yields about ¾ cup)
1/2 large avocado
3 tbsp Greek Yogurt
1 Garlic Clove, grated
Handful of Cilantro Leaves
2 Limes, squeezed
2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
S+P to taste
Jalapeno (optional for spice)
Ingredients for the salad:
1 lb. Organic Ground Turkey
Taco Seasoning Packet
6 cups chopped cabbage / lettuce
1 chopped red onion
1 large tomato, diced
1 cucumber, sliced
1 can of corn
1 can of black beans
Creamy Avo-Cilantro Dressing:
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Assemble the Mason Jar salad:
- Cook Ground Turkey in a pan with Sports Research® USDA Organic MCT Oil or an oil of your choice over medium heat. Cook until turkey begins to brown and is cooked through.
- Drain the oil and add Taco Seasoning. Toss until the meat is evenly coated.
- Prep the remaining ingredients so that everything is ready to go into the jar.
- Begin by pouring 2-4 tbsp of creamy Avo-Cilantro dressing into the bottom of each jar.
- Add remaining ingredients in even layers in each jar in the following order:
- Black beans
- Chopped red onion
- Diced tomato
- Sliced cucumber
- Ground turkey
- Chopped cabbage/lettuce
- To serve, pour the jar onto a large plate or bowl and add any additional toppings as desired.
- Mix it up and enjoy!