DIY Vision Board 2021
A new year is upon us, FINALLY. This time of year often means a fresh start, or finding a change of pace. For many, the new year is an opportunity to set goals and break old habits. Vision boards have swept the nation and become the ultimate tool for many celebrities (including Beyoncé), CEOs, designers and visionaries. The idea of this creative process is to set clear intentions for what you want in your life, and manifest that inspiration into action.
How to Start?
- Silence your phone, unplug. This is a zone of personal reflection where you should be free from distractions.
- Find a big board - white, brown, corkboard, a wall with post-it notes- whatever speaks to you.
- Think about your vision - what are your goals, what do you hope to achieve and who do you want to be?
- Decide the scope of your vision - goals for the next year... or the next 5 years?
- Grab magazines from around the house, stickers, cards, or anything that catches your eye for inspiration.
- Start looking through and cutting out things that draw your attention. Whether it be motivational quotes, an image that appeals to you, a scene that inspires you, or a story you can relate to.
- Place the cutouts you create on the board in a way that makes sense. Maybe your life feels a little cluttered, keep your board clean cut and simple. Or maybe the normalcy of every day has been hurting you rather than helping- add a little flavor and excitement. No matter where your mental health may fall, display your board in a way that brings you peace and hope for the new year.
Review and Plan
- Review your final masterpiece and make sure you love it and connect with it. This may be hanging on your wall all year so it is crucial that your attention to it brings motivation and happiness.
- Plan to take action. You’ve made this beautiful board, how can you apply it? Think about small steps that will get you where you want to be. Or simply write down tasks you hope to accomplish over the next week. Making a plan - whether long or short term - is the beginning of the journey.
- Remember, the vision board is there to empower you. Use it as a tool and a reminder to be your best self. You made it through 2020, you can do anything.