Word on the street, there’s a new kid in town. L-glutamine is making waves in the sports world as the amino acid your body will thank you for. But don’t worry. We’re here to give you the inside scoop on this molecular superhero.
What is L-Glutamine?
Out of 20 amino acids (i.e., the building blocks of protein), glutamine is the most abundant and versatile. Glutamine plays a role in maintaining a healthy immune system, enforcing gut health, and can aid in workout recovery.
“L-glutamine” refers to the most studied isomer of glutamine and can be bolstered with an L-glutamine amino acid supplement.
What are the benefits of supplementing L-Glutamine?
Unlike its comprehensive cousin, Creatine, L-glutamine is still an up-and-coming star in the world of nutraceuticals. Although the full breadth of its benefits is yet to be discovered, the existing research indicates promising and multifaceted results.
Immune Support: Several recent studies have found that supplementing L-glutamine in postoperative patients significantly reduced their recovery times. This likely has to do with glutamine’s role in the proliferation and production of the body’s immune cells.
Gut Health: Recent literature also supports the claim that supplementing L-glutamine supports the gut microbiome.
Workout Recovery: Intense exercise breaks down muscles, leading to weakness and fatigue. Due to L-glutamine’s role in the immune system, some studies indicate that supplementing with L-glutamine can help with muscle repair and recovery.
What’s the best way to supplement L-Glutamine?
Convinced this 3-in-1 supplement is for you? Sports Research has got you covered. Our 100% fermented L-Glutamine—made in the USA—is made using a proprietary 5-step purification process, resulting in a high-quality fine powder that mixes easily into your favorite drinks and your daily routine.
Add one scoop to your favorite beverage 1-2 times daily or two scoops before a workout to reap its full recovery-enhancing benefits.
Why Sports Research?
With over four decades under our belt, we know what excellence takes. Our L-glutamine is 100% vegan, Informed Sport tested for banned substances, gluten-free, and non-GMO tested for research-backed quality you can trust.
1. Cruzat, Vinicius, et al. “Glutamine: Metabolism and Immune Function, Supplementation and Clinical Translation.” Nutrients, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 23 Oct. 2018, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6266414/#:~:text=Glutamine%20is%20the%20most%20abundant,similar%20or%20greater%20than%20glucose.
2. DW;, Wilmore. “The Effect of Glutamine Supplementation in Patients Following Elective Surgery and Accidental Injury.” The Journal of Nutrition, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 2001, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11533310/.
3. Philip, Newsholme. “Why Is L-Glutamine Metabolism Important to Cells of the Immune System in Health, Postinjury, Surgery or Infection?” The Journal of Nutrition, Elsevier, 1 Sept. 2001, www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022316622145943.
4. Deters, Brett J., and Mir Saleem. “The Role of Glutamine in Supporting Gut Health and Neuropsychiatric Factors.” Food Science and Human Wellness, Elsevier, 22 Mar. 2021, www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213453021000112.
5. Córdova-Martínez, Alfredo, et al. “Effect of Glutamine Supplementation on Muscular Damage Biomarkers in Professional Basketball Players.” MDPI, Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute, 17 June 2021, www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/6/2073.